Tuesday, February 11, 2014

The quilt saga continues

Now that I have completed my Master's degree from University of Denver *woot* I have no excuse not to blog or do actual crafts. Thanks to my friend Ashley at Decorology for the encouragement! So I'm still working on my first overambitious and lightly planned quilt. I have put the quilt sandwich together (top, batting layer, backing) and am now HAND QUILTING, yes, you heard it right, hand quilting the border around the colorful strips.

Hand quilting - going in circles...

My technique

  1. I outlined the rectangle with back stitch in No. 8 Perle Cotton in indigo blue. No, I didn't mark this out with chalk! I just eyeballed the distance from the straight edge.
  2. I took a pot lid and the chalk and started at the upper right corner. Trace overlapping circles with the lid and chalk.
  3. I'm going along the long side outlining the circles in back stich and the same No. 8 Perle Cotton
I'm thinking about hand writing something, like a quote, along the top and bottom strips, so my handwriting will also be a part of the quilt for my kid.

Next intimidating step will be creating my own bias tape!!! This is terrifying. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment